Shiseido attains anti-aging ‘Second Skin’ technology by acquiring Olivo Laboratories.
Shiseido acquired Olivo Laboratories and its’ Second Skin Technology.
Tokyo& New York based leading cosmetic company – Shiseido bought all assets of Olivo Laboratories on 11 January 2018. Olivo Labs is a company founded in 2015 by dermatologist Dr. Robert Langer with headquarters in Massachusetts. It provides solutions for individuals with skin-related medical conditions, and has developed Second Skin Technology. Experts describe Second Skin Technology as scientific breakthrough, or a new category of cosmetic products – not available on the market yet. It represents a flexible, breathable and almost invisible artificial skin which can be used for variety of purposes. Olivo patents on dermatological / cosmetic field come as a result of successful cooperation between Rox Anderson (Harvard-MGH), and Bob Langer & Dan Anderson (MIT). According to Shiseido – Olivo research and development department would join Shiseido team. Although details of the acquisition are not disclosed, transaction is estimated to be worth ten’s of millions of dollars, due to it’s impact on whole cosmetic industry. The deal highlights the global tendency of acquiring cosmetic companies in personal care segment of FMCG market.
Second skin technology and it’s potential ways of utilization.
Combining development department of Shiseido and Olivio research team has a great potential for future. With the usage of Second Skin Technology both parts can create a synergy beneficial for developing new local and foreign markets. Second Skin Technology might be useful for:
- Creating a new category of cosmetic products, which are tailored for individual needs and sophisticated expectations.
- Immediate correction of wrinkles and other skin imperfections, without harmful side effects.
- Accelerate the development of skincare products, and set the quality standars on cosmetic field even higher.
- Become a foundation for sunscreen protection product development, which in long run might decrease the risk of skin cancer, and save life.
- Provide non invasive solution for individuals with skin related medical problems, who in other conditions would not have a chance to live normally.
- Create an alternative for cosmetic surgeries and beauty fans willing to improve their appearance in non conventional way.